Wednesday 18 November 2009

Storyboard

This is my storyboard for my 5 second cycle animation. My character will start off running, then trip when clicked and fall into a tumble/roll before landing hard on the floor. He'll then push himself up and look left and right for whatever tripped him, then look to the front and discover the 'wall' (the computer screen to the viewer), which he'll test. By doing so he discovers something/one is there watching him, so he yelps/jumps in shock and runs again, freaked out, allowing the animation to loop back to the beginning. I didn't just want a normal fall because I felt that would be too boring and not comical enough, so a roll should be much more exaggerated and interesting to watch. I'm hoping this is a pretty fun idea (it feels fun to me!), so I'm looking froward to animating my clumsy kitty~

As for how I'm going to animate it, I've decided I'm going to draw it by hand on paper rather than straight into Flash. After experimenting on Flash and trying to draw a decent rendition of my character using my Wacom, I've discovered that I'm actually very bad at drawing with graphics tablets... I'm sure I could get better with practice, but we don't have a great deal of time and I doubt I'd ever be able to get that degree of precise control that I can get drawing directly onto paper. I want to focus on making this animation as smooth, consistent, and convincing as possible rather than just making something brightly coloured and vectorised but not very well animated on Flash. So for now I intend to work on paper and scan the frames before importing them into Flash. I may try to digitalise them more later... but it depends on how the style of my animation develops in my head as I'm drawing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment