Thursday 25 March 2010

Stairs



At first I thought I'd just have the bottle roll in from one side of the frame and out the other, but after making this initial test I realised the clip would be over to soon and wouldn't give the impression of the bottle rolling quickly down many stairs - too quickly for the character to catch. I also had trouble figuring out how to make it look like it was rolling convincingly without completely destroying the Feel Good logo. In the end I decided to leave the scene a while and observe how the real bottle would roll down a flight of stairs, which you can see below.



Unfortunately my stairs at the time where too steep to get a useful reference, but watching the bottle bounce a little from the higher steps gave me the idea of adding more squash and stretch to the animation. Naturally the bottle can squash and stretch too much since its actually quick sturdy and stiff, especially when filled with juice, and I didn't want to give th eimpression of the bottle being flimsy. But at the same time, I think the bit of squash and stretch I did add has improved the animation as a whole and made the bottle look more like its falling and hitting each step. I kept the bottle in the center of the frame for the final version and instead moved the steps along behind it, allowing me to loop the animation for as long as I want to give the impression of constant rolling down stairs.

No comments:

Post a Comment